Saturday, March 28, 2020

Finding balance in a world devoid of the usual parameters


What do you do when your personal life is drawn into a whirlpool and you’ve nothing to hold onto? You hold onto the few principles that are true to your very core and adapt as best as you can within the circumstances.

When the quarantine took full effect in our lives, it was life as normal for me. I had unknowingly been in practice for social distancing for no less than a year. My spiritual growth process had kicked in during December of 2018 and I had been in the “darkness” for an entire year. I wasn’t as hard hit by the requirement to stay home because that was where I had been the entire year. During the course of 2019, I lived through so many changes on a physical, mental and spiritual level. It is quite hard to put into words truthfully. In that time I learnt to identify, value and prioritize what was most important to me. The fear that had driven my entire life prior to 2019 had to take a back seat and let living in flow with nature take the driver’s seat. For one who was deathly afraid of not being “always in control” of every aspect of her life, letting go of control was the most difficult thing I had to do. I can tell you that December 2018 to December 2019 was one of the most trying years I have live and I subsequently learnt that living in fear was not a good way to be and went about changing all those things that were within my power to alter.

Come the quarantine and now my significant other is at home full time. He, like most other individuals is constantly tapped into the fear matrix that is currently pandemic. He would be on the phone with his colleagues and friends often discussing the number of deaths and other matters loosely related to the pandemic. I have no idea what comfort, if any, these discussions provided to his psyche. On the other hand, I had spent an entire year devoted to ridding myself of the hold fear had on my life so I made a conscious effort to not be sucked into that particular abyss in the current situation. Not that I was carelessly going about shaking hands or socializing with abandon, I was never one for extensive physical contact so this is a welcome reprieve for me truth be told. Nobody would think me rude or standoffish because I recoil from holding hands.

Now how does one maintain their balance in this situation? I had to hold on to what was true for me and that is not allowing fear into our home. He is very welcome to have the discussions on the pandemic to his heart’s content, just not within the confines of the house. We are lucky enough to have a garden and he is more than welcome to have the phone calls outside, problem solved for our particular situation.

How has this pandemic encroached on your core beliefs? What creative solutions have you come up with to maintain some semblance of sanity?


No comments:

Post a Comment